Signed in black pastel p.d.: T. Pągowska 83
♣ to the auctioned price in addition to other costs will be added a fee resulting from the right of the artist and his heirs to receive remuneration in accordance with the Act of February 4, 1994 - on Copyright and Related Rights (droit de suite)
Teresa Pągowska (Warsaw, June 12, 1926 - Warsaw, February 7, 2007) studied painting and wall techniques at the State Higher School of Fine Arts in Poznań in the atelier of Wacław Taranczewski, where she received her diploma in 1951. From 1950 to 1964 she worked at the State Higher School of Fine Arts in Gdańsk. She participated in the restoration of Gdansk's Old Town (1953). In 1958 she was influenced by the paintings and personality of Piotr Potworowski. In 1964 she moved to Warsaw. From 1971 to 1973 she was employed at the Academy of Fine Arts in Lodz, and from 1973 she worked at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw. In 1988 she was awarded the title of full professor. She has exhibited since the 1950s, participating in the Arsenal exhibition in 1955, the 1959 Biennale of the Young in Paris, among others. In 1963, participation in the "Ecole de Paris" exhibition at Galerie Charpentier brought her honorary membership of the Nouvelle Ecole de Paris and the Realités Nouvelles group. From 1963 to 1966, she exhibited at the Salon de Mai in Paris. In 1990, she received the Jurzykowski Foundation Award. She traveled a lot, toured and participated in art life, but avoided being associated with art groups. From the beginning of her work, despite her sometimes far-fetched expressive deformations, she remained faithful to figuration. She painted with cycles: "Days" (1960s), "Monochromes" (until 1975), "Magic Figures" (a continuation of the previous series in color). Until 1995, she preferred large formats, in which she often used the effect of unprimed canvas. In parallel, small studies of single objects and signs were created. In 1996, the artist's monographic album came out.