An excellent numismatic coin.
A great rarity denomination from the treasured reign of the Three Brothers in excellent state of preservation.
This is not a single ducat known in a few hundred pieces. It is a much rarer two-ducat. A denomination that was only minted in a handful of vintages during the co-reign of the Three Brothers. To be more precise, in five over the years 1651-1662. The rarity is confirmed by the research of the specialist on the subject, Marcin Grandowski, who, in his queries for his work on the Three Brothers mint catalog, reached only 7 pieces of 1653 two-dukats. Of these, as many as four are in the Museum's collection today.
In addition, it is a very rare type. There are two obverse stamps for 1653. This one, occurring only in that one year, with a depiction in armor, and the more popular one, which was also used in 1657-1659. The present, rarer stamp, is dated by Marcin Grandowski to a short period after Rudolph's death and before the division of the Duchy, which is to be indicated by the fact that only George (the figure from the left) is holding a mace. Not, as it is on the next stamp, all three.
Exceptional state of preservation for a large gold coin of the Three Brothers. Only 2 other pieces (vintages later, i.e. 1657 and 1658) are currently known on the collector's market in an analogous state of preservation, while from different years. The 1657 at auction in Japan (Auction World auction house, auction of July 25, 2021) sold for about 150,000 zlotys, converting at the then exchange rate. The other is currently in a private collection.
The principality of Legnica-Brzesko-Wołów, did not regain its minting privilege until 1648, when the Peace of Westphalia was concluded, but it was not possible to launch the mint until after 1650, when Swedish troops withdrew from Brzeg. The following year - 1651 - George III launched the mint in Brzeg, transferring all the surviving equipment from the mint in Olawa. In addition to silver coinage, they also began minting gold coinage, needed to rebuild destroyed lands and cities. These were ducats and, much less frequently, two-ducats, made at the mint located in the former St. Anthony's Monastery.
A large, striking coin, for the minting of which the stamps of the quarter talar were used.
Gold, diameter ~30 mm, weight 6.88 g.
Obverse: Three half figures of princes, in armor decorated with floral vicia and rivets, standing facing and holding mace, in the rim a legend:
Reverse: Coat of arms shield, decorated with three helmets and labrys, surrounded by legend:
✼DVCES-SILISIÆ-LIGNIC(mark of mincmaster Christian Pfahler) ENSES-ET-BREGENSES-1653